Listen to Perth-based neurologist Dr Carolyn Orr give a powerful TEDx talk outlining the urgent why we must urgently transition from fossil fuels.
We've heard the messages before, yet Dr Orr puts the arguments in such a simple, convincing way we urge everyone to listen and share.
Some key points Dr Orr make that stand out:
"Air pollution is now recognized as a leading cause in illness & premature death in human beings. And the main cause of air pollution is burning fossil fuels – coal, oil and gas"
- "Each year just under 9 million people die prematurely coming from air pollution from fossil fuels. That’s a staggering 1 in 5 of all deaths worldwide."
- "The average human loses over a year of life to air pollution coming from coal, oil and gas"
- "Biggest consequence from climate change for health is heat waves. That's extreme heat impacts, but also more strokes, heart attacks, lung disease and stillborns"
- "Over a billion people will be displaced from their homes by mid-century due to climate impacts."
"100 fossil fuel companies are responsible for over 70% of greenhouse emissions... Last financial year Australia gave $10 billion to fossil fuel companies. That could have built 5 new teaching hospitals, instead we’re subsidising air pollution and climate change."
- "We already possess the technology to head off the climate crisis"
"The good news is ending fossil fuels will be profoundly positive for health. We will get that year of life back."
Can you share this page to help spread the word?